Aug 26, 2010

White Radish Soup

Ah Po often make soup for us, perhaps because of her Cantonese descendant nature. But for a while, I couldn't think of what soups she has made... until I came across a recipe for this delicious white radish soup. It was an "a-ha" moment!

When I was a kid, I refused to eat many things, among other green vegetables (or any type of vegetables, for that matter). Ah Po would complaint to my mom and said, "Your daughter is very picky. What also don't eat!!" and mom would just nonchalantly replied, "Let her be." The reason I mention this is because there is a context to this soup that I make. I used and put in all the necessary ingredients, just like Ah Po would. But when I scoop out a bowl of it for my own enjoyment, I did it just the way I used to when I was a kid; I'll scoop out the broth and a lot of the dried oysters, leaving the white radish behind! Some things just never change :)




White Radish Soup
300 grams of pork ribs
1 white radish, cut into large chunks
8 red dates
6 - 8 pieces of dried oysters (put more if you like)
1 piece of dried cuttlefish (optional)
700 ml of water for soup
500 ml of water

Bring 500 ml of water to boil in a pot. Add pork ribs and allow the meat to cook slightly. Remove scum from surface of water. Remove meat and discard water.
Bring 700 ml of water to boil in a clean pot. Add the partially cooked meat and the rest of the ingredients. Bring back to boil. Then, reduce the heat to low, simmer for 2 - 3 hours. Add salt to taste before serving.

No comments: