Aug 14, 2010

Ayam Percik

Making this dish was quite interesting... not that the process was difficult; in fact, this dish was really easy to make especially now that my friend, M, had loaned me his food processor. The thing that was interesting has to do with the smoke detector in my apartment. While baking and taking the dish out for basting the chicken, the smoke detector had disturbed the neighbors four times! Not to mention, I do my cooking at odd hours, which I'm sure the neighbors were not very happy when their beauty sleeps were disturbed.

Nonetheless, I was truly happy when I took the first bite of the chicken. Frankly, I'm not even sure if I had this dish before, when I was in Malaysia. Words have it that Ayam Percik is a signature dish from Kelantan. I'm just grateful that I have discover this and learned of this fantastic Ayam Percik!






Ayam Percik
3 lbs of chicken
2 tbsp of tamarind juice
1 1/2 cup of thick coconut milk
salt and sugar to taste

Blended Ingredients:
2 fresh chillies
3 dried chillies, seeded and soaked
10 shallots
1 inch of ginger
1 slice of fresh tumeric
5 cloves of garlic
salt and sugar to taste

Pound or blend the blended ingredients till fine.
Add salt and sugar to the blended ingredients and mix well.
Rub 1/2 of the blended ingredients over the chicken and into its cavity.
Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes before baking.
Heat oven to 420 F.
Place chicken in a baking tray, breast side up, and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Mix coconut milk with remainder of the blended ingredients, add salt and sugar to taste.
Cook slowly until thick. Baste the chicken with the mixture after half an hour and continue to bake until chicken is well done. Any juice that runs out when tested with skewer must be clear.
Leave chicken to stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Notes:
For best effect, cook chicken over an open wood fire rather than bake. It carries a special aroma and taste.
Ayam Percik is best accompanied with Nasi Kerabu.

No comments: