Mar 27, 2010

A Malaysian Feast

After several complaints/requests, I have finally surrendered to the peer pressure and promised a dinner. This is the biggest group of people I've ever served so far. I was stressed out... but exhilarated at the same time. It's great to be sharing some Malaysian love!

The menu includes pineapple fried rice, black hokkien mee (Hey, it's the noodles month. Gotta include noodles, right?), drunken clams, beef rendang, and loh hon guo sweet tea (to wash down the oily food, but we also have wine and beers for that - thanks: Erin, Jane, Raul, and Diana). I figured something tame, with a hint of flair (rendang) is a good start to convert newbies ;)

The reception was good. Although I was a bad host; turned out, Juan is allergic to crustaceans and couldn't eat most of the food (I'm so sorry!). And I should've known better not to put the clams into microwave... oh well. I think the most likable dishes were the beef rendang and black hokkien mee.

At the end of the day, all plates are cleared. Good sign!






waiting for the fashionably late Puerto Ricans!

my fav entourage! proven to be not faint-hearted :)



table manners? what? what!

hmmm..... wine + chinese cooking wine :)



pineapple fried rice

KL black hokkien mee

drunken clams

beef rendang


Pineapple Fried Rice
from Rasa Malaysia

Black Hokkien Mee

Drunken Clams
from Rasa Malaysia

Beef Rendang
from Rasa Malaysia

Loh Hon Guo Sweet Tea
1 loh hon guo
4 oz of dried longans
4 oz of lotus seeds
4 oz of dried red dates
Rock sugar to taste

Wash loh hon guo and lightly crack to open.
Put it into a pot of water (about 1 - 1.5 liters) with all the other ingredients, except rock sugar, and bring to boil.
Once it has come to a boil, add rock sugar and let it simmer for an hour.
Serve warm or chilled.
(If you want it chilled, do not add ice cubes. Just cool it in the fridge.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Loh hon guo!! I want to try to make that (where can I get all the ingredients?). Thanks again, Lily, for the yummy feast! Now how do I get promoted from a "newbie" status ;)

Lily said...

Hey Jane, I got all the ingredients from the Asian groceries stores on Nicollet (Eat Street)... but they might require some digging. Let me know if you need help finding anything. I'm glad to have you over! I will have to come up with a list for different Malaysian food braveness levels :)