Mar 6, 2010

Wonton Noodle, Dry-Style (Kon Loh Wonton Mein)

I didn't get to work today. And when I found out of that, it was too late to join my friends to the slopes up north where I could have continue my snowboarding lessons. So, I stayed home to study... and then cook wonton noodles. When Reena was here, she had showed me how. She has been trying to teach me how to make wonton noodles, saying how easy it is. But everytime she does, I would narrowed my eyes, as if saying "Are you kidding me? I hate you for being a great cook." (The latter part is, naturally, not true. I embrace and am grateful for the fact that she is a great cook 'cos she feeds me so well whenever opportunities strike.)

I have some of the ingredients, but still need to pick up some others. One of them being choy sum, a type of Chinese cabbage. Not unusual, I had to make two stops to gather all the ingredients I needed. My second stop was a Vietnamese groceries store, where the fresh greens and produce are not labeled. I knew the difference between kai lan and bok choy, but bok choy and choy sum? I had to make an emergency call to Mom to figure that out. Embarrassing, I know!

With all ingredients on hand, I started my wonton-wrapping exercise. You can tell that I need practices to master the skill as all my wontons turned out loose with air pockets. This is one of the things, I realized, that I thought I did pretty well during the making but can't really judge what the outcome will be until it is completely done.

In all honesty, wonton noodle is not difficult to make, as Reena has been trying to convince me. But for wonton noodle to taste and look really good, that takes some skills. My very own wonton noodle turned out to be delicious, though not as good as Reena's. And definitely not even close to those RM3.50 wonton noodles served at kopitiam or hawker stalls in Malaysia. Gosh, I miss home.....

Kon Loh Wonton Mein


Wonton Noodle, Dry-Style (Kon Loh Wonton Mein)
for 2

1/4 lb of ground pork
6 - 8 shrimps, deveined and finely chopped
2 - 3 strands of chives, chopped
1/2 tbsp of soy sauce
3/4 tsp of dark rice vinegar
1/4 tsp of sesame oil
Dash of salt and pepper

Wonton wrapper, about 10, thawed if frozen
1/2 tbsp of cornstarch, dissolved with 1.5 tbsp of water
1 packet of wonton soup base (Lee brand, 9 grams) + 3 cups of water
4 oz (or a ring) of wonton/egg noodles
6 - 8 leaves of choy sum
~3 cups of water

In a mixing bowl, mix the pork, shrimp, and chives. Add soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Filling should be sticky and slightly wet.
To wrap the wontons, make a ring with fingers and thumb. Place a wonton wrapper on  top of the ring formed by hand. Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of the wrapper. Gently push the filling down the ring with the spoon. Slowly move fingers to close the ring to wrap the wrapper around the filling. Dab a little cornstarch mixture around the wrapper to seal. Check that the wrapper is properly sealed. Place on a plate. Repeat until filling is used up.
Bring water to boil. Add the wonton soup base. When soup is boiling, add the wontons. When the wontons are done, they will float. Simmer for another 2 - 3 minutes. Then, set aside.
In another pot, bring ~3 cups of water to boil. Add noodles and cook until al dente. Remove from boiling water and dip into a bowl of fresh cold water before dipping into the boiling water again to warm the noodles. Drain and set on individual serving plates.
Add 1 - 2 tsp of sweet dark soy sauce and a few drops of sesame oil to the each plate of noodles and toss well.
Blanch choy sum until just al dente, drain and place on top of noodles.
Serve warm with bowl of wonton soup.

2 comments:

ahe said...

laplap.. tOday, u can never get a RM3.50 wantan mien in KL anymOre lOr :/ lOOks gOOd, well dOne! :)

Lily said...

Oh no... so, how much are they now? Perhaps can still get RM3.50 wonton mein in Rawang...?