Apr 4, 2010

Kuih Dadar

I must say that I'm a big fan of Nyonya kuih in Malaysia. Kuih dadar is yet another favorite of mine and so, I thought I'd give it a try. It was a little intimating because I was trying to make pancakes to no success about a year ago (and I've never try again ever since)!

Turns out, making the crepe wasn't the difficult part, but making the coconut filling was. I might have burned the palm sugar while dissolving them the first time as the coconut filling hardened as it cools. (By the way, the palm sugar is really hard - I had to use a hammer to break them into pieces!) So, I used medium-low heat during my second attempt and never let my eyes leave the stove.

The assembling part of it was kinda fun, though I was not very good at it. I come to the conclusion that making kuih dadar requires great patience and delicate fingers, which I seem to have neither today.


Kuih Dadar
200 g of plain flour (sifted)
1 egg
300 ml of coconut milk
A few drops of green coloring
100 ml of canola oil

Filling:
160 g of grated coconut (subs. dessicated coconut)

150 g of palm sugar/gula melaka, dissolved in 30 ml of hot water)
1 1/2 tbsp of sugar

To make filling: Fry the grated coconut till just heated up. Add in dissolved palm sugar and sugar, stir till mixture is well-blended. Set aside to cool.

In a mixing bowl, combine half of the coconut milk with flour. Add in the egg, green coloring, and canola oil. Beat mixture till well-combined.
Gradually pour in the remaining coconut milk. Continue beating for 5 minutes.
Let batter stand for 30 minutes.
Heat up pan. Pour some batter onto the pan.
Tilt the pan so that batter is spread evenly and thin.
When sides turn dry and brittle, remove from pan.
Repeat until all the batter is used up.

When filling is cool, spread 2 teaspoonfuls of filling in the middle of the kuih. Roll up kuih. Serve.

No comments: