Jan 26, 2010

Mushroom Chicken

As I've mentioned in one of my previous posting, Ah Po always cooked and packed a lot of food - enough to feed me all week, sometimes more - for me to take with as I'm heading back to the campus towards the end of the weekend. One of my favorite dishes that she would make was mushroom chicken. After many years since I've left Malaysia, and when my mom came to live with me in Minneapolis, Ah Po had told my mom to make this dish for me. So, I've asked my mom for the recipe and cooked it myself.


It was easy to cook, but delicious to taste. It was slightly salty, but with a hint of sweetness. The mushrooms was succulent and the chicken was tender crisp. I do think that adding a splash of fish oil would make it tastier. I'll experiment with that next time!


  




Mushroom Chicken
2 - 3 tbsp oil
2 - 3 cloves of garlic
6 - 8 shitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water for about an hour, destemmed and sliced
1/2 of chicken, cut into bite sizes
Sauce:
3 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp water


Heat oil and brown the garlic
Put in chicken and stir fry until chicken is cooked
Add in mushrooms and stir fry a little, about 5 - 10 minutes
Put in mixture of sauce and lower the heat
Continue to cook for about 20 - 30 minutes
Serve with rice

5 comments:

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Yum, looks good!

Reena said...

Looks great, fish sauce def adds depth to this dish. You can also add tiger lilies and water chestnuts!

Carol said...

Thanks to Ah Poh, Lily has now becoming a good cook. Should start thinking of opening a restaurent named 'Ah Poh Home Cook Restaurent'.

Unknown said...

Well done i strongly belief you can make 80 dishes happen.all looks very goods,we hope can eat u cook wan. today 29/1 tai so only cook Mushroom chicken she also do it very well.we love it so much.i belief Your blog must be a lot of readers bcoz of food and people like to eat especially u introduce all ah po top dishes.i think bcoz of ah po u hv tis desired to do it & for remembrance.every dishes u cook with our story those day together with ah po.tis is life & we need to move forward & become better & better like ah po always say "step by step dun rush so fast success" actually she wan us stable & steady. Good job LilY you can make it happen may be 1 day u going have yr own restaurant bcoz of tis.We are always by your side to support you.(Mission 80)Best wishes Ta ke,Tai So,Victor & Joey

Lily said...

Thank you for the compliments and support!