Jan 31, 2010

Baked Herbal Chicken & Golden Fragrance Clams (Kam Heong La La)

My lingering nasal congestion has prone me to make this dish I called Baked Herbal Chicken. Honestly though, I'm not certain what the medicinal value this dish has for nasal congestion, or other illnesses for that matter... unlike the well-known chicken soup for cold. But I figured, some kind of herbs must do good to your body and hence, help fight the germs, right?


This is another dish that Ah Po had make for us. Mom has been kind enough to provide me the recipe. This dish is really easy to prepare, the list of ingredients is minimal (chicken, dried red dates, and dried wolfberries), and yet the outcome is utterly satisfying. It is best serves warm, just like most any other Asian dishes. 




Some people recommends hot and spicy food to help ease congestion. So, I set myself to make some Golden Fragrance Clams, or more commonly known as Kam Heong La La. I was quite excited about this dish, as its success/failure will motivates me to make other more difficult dishes such as Chili Crab in the near future. There was also quite some effort put into this dish: the looking up and mashing up of recipes, going to two stores to get the ingredients I needed -- and yet, I still couldn't find curry leaves and fresh clams, and the long preparation (there is quite a bit of shallot-chopping involved). When the aroma started to fill the air, and the fact that I was able to smell it despite my stuffy nose and nasal sinuses, I knew then that the effort is all worthwhile. It was so tasty! And yes, it did help with decongesting my nasal passages :)


But... in all honesty, it would have been much better had it been cooked with fresh clams. And I was hoping to get the thinner and oblong-shaped clams, instead of the frozen and cockle-shaped clams. (And now that I can't even name these different clams, I wished I had gone to the market more often with Ah Po and pay attention when she's marketing.) I was extremely excited to get some fresh clams initially, so I can soaked them in salt water again and again while they spit out mud again and again. When I was a kid, I like to poke the clams when their shells open up to spit the mud (I thought they were trying to figure out where the hell they are and I was trying to scare them) and Ah Po would tell me "not to kill the la la's" or don't disturb or go do your homework or a combination of those. Don't kill the clams? Are they still alive? Sometimes, the lies or myths that adults tell you when you're a kid to prevent you from doing something, totally mess your head up, as it did to me. As I got older (but none the wiser), I have to spend my time finding out which are truths and which are myths. Otherwise, I could have just played Guitar Hero!




After a little research..


After savoring the baked herbal chicken, I thought I should do it some justice by looking up its potential benefits...


Lo and behold, little red wolfberry is quite the superhero. The Chinese has used the wolfberry fruits for several thousands of years for the medicinal benefits. Containing several nutrients (such as potassium and zinc, which are beneficial for cold/flu, among others) and phytochemicals -- great antioxidant (also helpful in fighting cold/flu and any inflammations), wolfberries are believed to help protect the kidney and liver, improve vision, strengthen joints, nourish blood and promote longevity.


The red dates are not too far off either. They are noted in Compendium of Materia Medica and have long history, just like the wolfberries. My favorite line on how the red dates are being described, get this: "They are sweet and warm-natured." Warm-natured! Good for cold, yes? They are also rich with vitamin C (yay!). Red dates are believed to invigorate the spleen and stomach, alleviate stress, and nourish blood.


Such enlightenment. Not only do I feel that the germs are being battled right now, but my blood is also being nourished and my entire physiological system replenished! 




Baked Herbal Chicken
1/2 of a chicken, cut into bite sizes
A handful of dried red dates (hong jou), soaked in warm water for 5 - 10 minutes
A handful of dried wolfberries (kei zhi), soaked in warm water for 5 - 10 minutes
A few of ginseng (optional)
Salt


Cover an oven-safe platter with aluminum foil
Place chicken pieces into platter
Rub a little salt all over the chicken pieces
Sprinkle the dried red dates and wolfberries (and ginseng) over the chicken pieces
Then, cover the platter with aluminum foil
Bake in oven for at least 1 hour or until chicken is cooked at 375 F




Golden Fragrance Clams (Kam Heong La La)
2 lbs of clams
3 tbsp of oil
2 tbsp of dried prawns, soaked
2 - 3 curry leaves
8 shallots, chopped
A thumb-sized ginger, julienned
5 chili padi/red jalapeno, chopped
Seasoning:
1 tsp of fermented soy bean paste (tau cheong)
2 tbsp of curry powder
2 tbsp of oyster sauce
2 tsp of soy sauce
2 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of dark soy sauce
Cornstarch and water for thickening (optional)


Heat oil and saute dried prawns until fragrant
Add in curry leaves, shallots, ginger, and chili padi, and stir fry until aromatic
Add in clams and seasoning, and stir fry on high heat until well mixed
Cover with a lid, and cook for about 2 minutes until clams are opened
Thicken with cornstarch and water, and mix well (optional)
Dish up 

No comments: