Feb 25, 2010

Golden Egg Tofu with Minced Meat

I can't believe my luck today! I was on a quest for some sea cucumbers at an Asian groceries store. Being unsuccessful at the first store (though I picked up tons of unnecessary snacks), I decided to make a stop at another Asian store. Still no sea cucumbers. But... my eyes spotted a few tubes of the silken egg tofu! I was searching for those a month ago to no avail. So, I quickly grabbed two tubes and made my way to the cashier. I've decided that the Asian groceries stores in Minneapolis are temperamental.

I love this egg tofu with minced meat dish that my Ah Po make. I've been thinking bout it for months. As such, I can't wait and just have to cook it tonight. Deep frying the tofu was a little tricky; I got some oil splashed on my face... but luckily, no visits to Dr McSteamy, the plastic surgeon, were warranted. I think it might leave a scar under my left eyebrow. Hey, scar gives character, right? The effort (and scar) is totally worthwhile as the dish turned out to be super-yummy-licious!


Golden Egg Tofu with Minced Meat
1 cup of cooking oil
2 tubes of silken egg tofu
150 grams of minced meat
6 - 8 prawns, deshelled and cut into small pieces
1 egg
1 clove of garlic, minced

1 tsp of light soy sauce
1 tsp of oyster sauce
1/2 tsp of Xiaoshing rice wine
2 - 3 dashes of white pepper
A dash of sesame oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 cup of water
1 tbsp of cornstarch, mixed with 2 tbsp of water

Cut each roll of egg tofu into pieces of 1/2 inches thick, lengthwise. Place tofu on a sheet of kitchen towel to dry off excessive water.
Marinate minced meat and prawns with a dash of soy sauce and sprinkles of salt and pepper.
Heat wok with oil over high heat and deep fry tofu until golden brown. Remove from work and place tofu on a sheet of kitchen towel to drain. Set aside.
Remove excessive oil and leave only about 1 tbsp of oil in wok. Lower heat to medium.
Slightly brown the garlic. Add the minced meat and prawns, and water. Stir fry for a couple of minutes.
Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine, white pepper, and sesame oil.
Thicken the gravy with cornstarch mixture.
Then, break and add an egg into wok, stir it vigorously for a few seconds.
Turn off the heat.
Return golden browned egg tofu into work, stir it gently to combine well.
Dish up and serve with steamed rice.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that sounds delicious! Never made it to the store to look for silken tofu for you, but looks like you found it. You might have to hit up the Korean stores as they may have it more regularly.

Lily said...

Pat, do you think I can get sea cucumbers at the Korean stores?